Wednesday, January 15, 2014

Candy Cane Christmas Party

So this past Christmas I was asked to help decorate for the annual company holiday party.   The theme was Candy Canes and I was challenged with transforming our conference rooms into something totally different from previous years.  I wanted it to be eye catching as soon as you walked into the room.  I had an idea to create a candy cane chandelier to hang over each of the cocktail tables.   Here's how they turned out.

I took three large candy cane ornaments, turned them upside down and glued them together with my glue gun.  The tea light holders are plastic wine glasses from the dollar store with the bases removed.  Yes, those are actual jelly candy rings that were used to cover the remaining plastic stem.  A peppermint candy was glued to the tip of the candy cane to create a base for the jelly rings.   Chandelier crystals were attached to the metal ornament hook that came adhered to the candy canes.  The lights were dimmed during the party so you were able to immediately notice the battery powered tea lights.  What better to coordinate with the candy cane chandeliers than candy cane wall sconces!

These were created in the same fashion but just one candy cane glued to a piece of poster board.

I love cute paper banners and wanted to create something large enough to cover the front wall of the conference room.  Large poster boards covered with red & white wrapping paper provided a nice base. Letters were die cut and glittered to spell out  "Candy Cane Wishes" Each letter was framed with layered black and red poster board.  Each piece of poster board was cut in half and then I used my circle cutter on each of the four corners.  I love the chalkboard look and thought this would be an easy way to create something similar.
Unfortunately, I was unable to get all three words in the picture but I think you get the idea.


We had a large Candy Bar.  I created a cut file using Make the Cut software for the Candy Shop Sign.  


The sit down dining area also had a blank wall that needed to be covered.  Instead of hanging chandeliers from the ceiling, I used a die cut image of a chandelier (added battery powered lights of course) and hung these as pictures on the wall.  Chandelier svg was downloaded from Sherry K designs and cut with Make the Cut.  Again, real candy canes used on the chandelier.
Here's a couple of other signs that were hung on the same wall.


Centerpieces for the dining tables were made with pots from the dollar store painted white.  The peppermint candy was made with glitter paper and a 10 inch styrofoam circle.  I didn't have a cut file for a peppermint candy so I created my own freehand.  The stick was made from two large candy cane sticks purchased from the .99 cents store and glued together and secured with clear packing tape.  They held up just fine (thankfully!)  Hard to tell from this picture but the red glitter paper had lots of sparkle.

All in all, the event was a huge success.  There were so many people that worked hard to make it all happen and I was happy to be able to contribute.

1 comment:

  1. Wow it turned out great!!!
    Thanks for sharing..

    ReplyDelete